mama scout lab e-course

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

make mayonnaise in 5 minutes

Have you made your own mayonnaise? If not, I need to sing the gospel of how easy it is do and how freaking delicious it is to eat. Homemade mayonnaise on a tomato sandwich or hamburger is sublime. 

Do you want to try to do it? Here are some basic directions (I learned using the Fanny Farmer cookbook)


What you need
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
1 cup of oil (something light, canola, peanut, sunflower)
1 t Dijon mustard
big pinch of salt
1 1/2 T lemon juice (I usually just squeeze 1/2 lemon)
food processor

What to do 

Put the eggs, mustard, and salt in the food processor and let them whip up for a minute or two.

Add the oil (while the processor is on) drop by drop and then in a very thin stream. This part takes the longest. I even let it whip up a bit between adding the oil. The key is good emulsification. 

When all the oil is added, squeeze in the lemon and taste. Adjust the salt and lemon and refrigerate. 



Have you made your own mayo? Do you have another tip or recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog. You're a mama after my own heart. I'm now adding DIY mayo to my to do list and will poke around your archives for more awesome ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...