mama scout lab e-course

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the best, freshest blueberry pie ever



My friend gave me this recipe last year when we were in the thick of what seemed like weekly blueberry picking. It became our go-to pie all last summer. I have made traditional blueberry pie before, but it is always so sicky sweet, I never really care for it. This pie is fast, low in sugar and super fresh and zingy. We made our first this week and are already looking forward to making more.



what you need:
4 cups fresh blueberries
3/4 c water
1 T butter
3 T cornstarch
1/4 C sugar/sweetener
a bit of lemon juice
cinnamon 
graham cracker crust

what to do:
Simmer 1 cup of blueberries in about 3/4 cup of water. When the berries start popping, add 1 tablespoon of butter, 3 tablespoons of cornstarch (dissolve in a bit of cold water and pour in slowly while stirring), squirt of lemon juice, pinch of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of your favorite sweetener. (We have used sugar, sucanat and more recently coconut palm sugar - but I imagine honey or cane syrup would be great too). Stir and cook until thick, clear and shiny. Take off heat and mix in 3 cups of blueberries. Pour into a graham cracker crust (we buy these premade) and chill for an hour or more. Serve with fresh whipped cream and get ready to sing to the angels. It is so good, and so refreshing - my favorite summer dessert!









2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad Nana's pie is getting all internetted. My only problem with the recipe is that i sometimes get too excited about the berries, add too many, and there's not enough syrup to hold them all together. Fortunately, it's still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making it for my dad's 65th birthday!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...